Kitchen Corner

June 30, 2008

Mango & Coconut Chiffon

Chiffon cake is my favorite dessert. I've tried different flavors of chiffon and this has been added into my best flavor list recently. As this chiffon was not served for any special vocation, so I left it plain without any dressing to experience the natural flavor. I kept it in a fridge after it had cooled down from the oven for reserving a better texture.
We're totally refreshed by the little mango and shredded coconut with chilly sponge in the very hot and humid weekend.
Recipe for 17cm chiffon tin:
110g egg whites/55g caster sugar/5g corn flour
50g egg yolks/36g water36g/vegetable oil/55g plain flour/10g caster sugar/50g mango juice/25g dried mango (chopped)/24g shredded coconut
  1. Whip egg whites until peak form then slowly add in caster sugar continue whipping until a shiny and smooth consistency.
  2. Add in the cornflour and whip until just combine.
  3. Mix egg yolks, oil, water, mango juice, flour and caster sugar in another mixing bowl until everything combine.
  4. Then mix in chopped dried mango.
  5. Add in 1/3 of the egg white mixture into (2) until combine. Then add half of the left over egg whites mixture continue mixing. Then mix in the remaining egg whites until well combine.
  6. Add shredded coconut and mix until just combined.
  7. Pour into the baking tin and bake 35 minutes at 160'C.
  8. Turn the cake upside down for cooling before unmold it.
  9. Chill in a fridge for better refreshing texture.

13 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, your chiffon cake looks real nice...so tall and yet so soft! I wonder when I can come up with something close to yours. Incidentally, I made a mango yoghurt cake yesterday :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi HHB,
Thanks! I'm sure you could come up with something better and special. How I wish I can have a piece of your mango yoghurt cake.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Did you use fresh shredded coconut for this recipe.

Thanks.

Lynn

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Lynn,
I used dried shredded coconut instead of fresh one. Perhaps fresh coconut would be much tasty.

mel said...

Hi

Nice yummy chiffon =) May I clarify under no. 3.Mix egg yolks, oil, water, peach puree flour and caster sugar in another mixing bowl until everything combine.

Instead of peach puree, could it be the 50g mango juice that is stated in the recipe? Btw, is it ok for me to replace mango puree with mango juice?

Thanks

Mel

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Mei,
I don't think it's a good idea to change the puree to juice because the consistency and texture will gone. However, you can always make your own experiment. Who know that it might be works right?!
I find the mango and peach puree are quite the same texture so please give it a try. I should be ok. Happy baking!

mel said...

Hi Kitchen Corner

Thanks for taking the time to reply my question. Think I'll stick to puree then =) don't want a 'deform' chiffon cake! lol

Have a nice weekend ^^

Mel

Anonymous said...

Hi, would you be able to share this mango chiffon ingredients with me if I will be using a 23cm chiffon tin. Thanks, Monica.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Monica,
I only have this 17cm recipe. Perhaps you could add another 1/3 or 2/3 of each ingredients. All the best!

pink said...

I am confused. How much peach puree is required in the recipe? I saw only '50g mango juice'.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi pink, this is a mango chiffon recipe so not required any peach puree. If you like to try peach chiffon please refer to the peach chiffon recipe, thanks!

Elajr said...

Hi, your chiffon cake looks really delicious. This is my first time to encounter a recipe adding corn starch in egg whites, may I know what it does to the recipe? I'm glad I found your blog. Thanks.

Tam Dang said...

Dear Ms. Grace,

In the step 3, u wrote:
3.Mix egg yolks, oil, water, peach puree, flour and caster sugar in another mixing bowl until everything combine.

Pls advise how much peach puree we should use in this recipe because I didn't see in your recipe.

Thanks and regards,
Tam Dang